Teenage is the period of transition from childhood to adulthood. During this period, teenagers generally worry about third molars, facial appearance, braces, and bad breath. School activities, sports, and a lot of junk foods result in compromised dental care, which usually leads to tooth decay, cavities, and other dental problems.
The best way for teens to have a healthy smile is to stick to the best oral hygiene habits developed during childhood. Here are a few tips to help you instill ideal oral hygiene habits.
- Encourage your kid to take good care of their teeth. It would mean brushing teeth at least twice a day and flossing daily. Teenagers are more concerned about how they look. You can make your kids understand that bad oral habits can result in bad breath, stained teeth, and cavities, all of which contribute to bad looks.
- You are going to have to be a role model. If you want your kids to take care of their teeth for the rest of their lives, you will need to practice good oral hygiene in front of them.
- Make sure that you never run short on dental care supplies. Soft toothbrushes, dental floss, fluoride toothpaste, and mouthwash should always be there on the washroom shelf. Keep these supplies in your children's easy access.
- Encourage your kids to eat healthy foods, such as fruits and vegetables, instead of junk foods.
- Discuss with your kids the impact of smoking and other non-healthy activities on oral and overall health. Kids usually start smoking or get oral piercing under social pressure. Empowering them with the knowledge of good and bad can help them stick to good habits only.
Many teens have to get braces or have their wisdom teeth removed. Some undergo these procedures due to dental problems caused by impacted or misaligned teeth, while some do the same to prevent any problems in the future.
Here is what you may want to discuss with your teeth.
- The purpose of braces is not just a straight smile. With your teeth straightened, you can ensure their hygiene in a much better way. The alignment of teeth alleviates the risk of tooth chipping.
- The most common reason you may have to get your wisdom teeth or third molars removed is the lack of room, which generally results in impaction and other resultant issues.
- Bad breath is a product of harmful bacteria that reside on the tongue. A simple change in oral care habits can freshen up the breath. Good oral hygiene includes brushing your tongue when you brush your teeth.
- It is good to rely on a good oral hygiene routine to whiten the teeth. It might mean using a whitening toothpaste, mouthwashes, and specialized toothbrushes. If you must get your teeth whitened, get it done professionally.
- The use of tobacco products can lead to certain types of cancers, bad breath, gum disease, teeth staining, and various other oral and overall health issues.
- Oral piercing serves no good because it can have adverse effects on lips, tongue, and cheeks. These pieces of metal can cause several other oral health problems.
If you want your kid to have a nice and healthy smile, you must discuss these factors with him in a friendly environment. The best way is to be a counselor to your child.